2007


There used to be this yellow-and-green backpack the kindergarten required every kid to wear. I remember flinging it across my room with utter disregard and the soft thump as it landed on my youthfully pink bed. I giggled delightfully as I rode the apartment elevator, holding hands with my 16-year-old sister. It was a rare sunny day in winter: snow, sparkling under the sun, had covered pretty much every square inch outside. I remember watching snow fall the other day around midnight, face pressed against the cold, fogged up window. The snow glowed from the soft orange light of the nearby streetlamp. I remember just how beautiful it was. 

Once outside, I deliberately pressed my shoes harder, deep into the snow, taking a few steps then turning back to admire the trail I carefully crafted behind me. My sister wiped the snow off a nearby bench with her sleeve. 

I sat down in front of her. I scooped up some of the snow and, after pressing it together with my hands, rolled it back into the snow to make it whiter, bigger, and rounder. I remember being frustrated because my snowball would not be as white and big and round as I wanted it to be. I walked up to the tree behind the bench, breaking off some of the smaller branches to provide arms for my snowman.

I looked up to see what my sister was doing. I remember reading the title of the book she was holding: Girl With a Pearl Earring. She sighed: my snowman-crafting was taking longer than she had expected.

I remember my gaze of admiration, the fleeting sense of accomplishment, the spark of pride I felt as I stuck the two small branches into the finally completed snowman.

I remember my mother opening the kitchen window - being four stories up, she had to shout - “It’s time to come home!” I was immensely disappointed. I wanted more time to spend with my snowman. My sister gestured at me to hurry up, and I, extremely reluctant, remember doing so. I placed every step back home in the little holes my shoes created a few hours ago. I remember the sense of guilt that almost overwhelmed me as I thought of my snowman, who would have to stand all alone for hours, only to melt into nonexistence. 

I did not feel too happy as my mother greeted me back home. I entered my room, closing the door behind me, and flung myself onto the bed - I think I forgot about my snowman then.

I remember this day more clearly than any other day in 2007. I remember, but I have no idea why. I remember all these details I know one day I will no longer be able to recall.

Comments

  1. As stated in class, this is EXCELLENT. At the end when you state "
    I remember, but I have no idea why," and it helps the reader review the essay and conclude that the threads they might have been looking for (something profound or traumatic or WOW) don't need to be there. We all have memories we remember and don't know why, and this essay reveals that with wonderful images and description and subtext. I am definitely looking forward to amazing college essays next year. If you cave under pressure, just copy and paste this one and add something colleges will like ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts